|Title||[St. James Hotel]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. Diagonal view of three buildings seen from across a street. There are brick buildings at left and right; the large clapboard building at center, with columns, porch, and balcony, is the St. James Hotel. A sign mounted over the door is partially legible and includes the word "HOTE[L]". The brick building at left has signs posted: "DEPOT For HORTON'S ICE CREAM" and "F. P. GRIMSHAW." The brick building at right has a sign mounted over the door: "LADIES' & GENTLEMEN'S / RESTAURANT", and a large sign at ground level: "Schlitz / THE BEER / THAT MADE MILWAUKEE FAMOUS". There are utility poles on both sides of the street.
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||7 x 5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Britten Hillyer|
|Ownership and History||The St. James Hotel was located on Richmond Terrace, opposite the Bayonne Ferry, in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Built shortly after the American Revolution as the private residence of Judge David Mersereau, it became the Port Richmond Hotel about 1820. The name was later changed to the Continental Hotel, and by the end of the nineteenth century, it was called the St. James Hotel. Aaron Burr lived here at the end of his life and passed away in his second-floor room on September 14, 1836. The building was demolished in the late 1940s.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.