Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Eden Musee]
Object Name Negative, Film
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date ca. 1908
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original film negative. Front view of the Eden Musee building in Manhattan. Two "EDEN / MUSEE" signs are in front of the building; the name is also on the mansard roof. Large signs lean up against the building; signs include "THE MARVEL OF THE CENTURY / ALL IN MOTION / THE WONDERFUL / CINEMATOGRAPH / EVENTS OF THE DAY /..." and "CENTRAL HALL / DEPUTY CHIEF / KRUGER / ... / FIRE HERO". Several men walk on the sidewalk; one man stands reading one of the large signs.
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
Film Size 4 x 5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History The Eden Musee was located at 55 West 23rd Street near Sixth Avenue. In business from 1884 to 1915, it was a popular entertainment center that featured a music hall, wax displays, an annual orchid show, vaudeville acts, and more.

The "Deputy Chief Kruger" whose name appears in one of the signs was Charles W. Kruger, Deputy Chief of the New York Fire Department. Chief Kruger died in the line of duty in February 1908.
Earliest Date 1908
Latest Date 1910
Subjects Buildings
Galleries & museums
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 50.015.5054
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.