Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Samuel Decker House]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Sykes, C. A.
Date December 1935
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W print, possibly original or possibly an early copy print. Diagonal front and side view of a wood frame house. The smaller section of the house at right has a porch with two benches; there is a lantern hanging beside the door. Inscription on reverse: "A. Decker House / West side Forest Hill Rd 300 yds / s/o Rockland Ave / PHOTOGRAPHED BY Sykes / Dec. 1935". Second inscription on reverse: "(End section moved / to Richmondtown -- / now the Carpenter's Shop)". Inscription on a copy print notes that this house was also known as the Samuel Decker House and the Decker-Bender House.
(Keywords: HRT, Forest Hill Road, New Springville, New York City, Twentieth Century)
Print size 5 x 7
Ownership and History This house, which stood on Forest Hill Road in Staten Island, was demolished many years ago, but a portion of the framing from the kitchen wing of the house was saved and used in the construction of the Carpenter's Shop at Historic Richmond Town in 1966.
Earliest Date 1935
Latest Date 1935
Subjects Houses
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.1238
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.