|Title||[Public School 28]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print and its corresponding original negative. Diagonal front and side view of Public School 28 on Center Street in Richmond, Staten Island. St. Patrick's Church is visible in the background at left. The image is slightly out of focus. An index card with a typed inscription is taped to the bottom edge of the photo: "NEW PUBLIC SCHOOL 28 / TAKEN IN 1920 / St. Patrick's R.C. church / can be seen in the back- / ground."
(Keywords: HRT, PS 28, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||2.625 x 4.25|
|Film Size||2.750 x 4.25|
|Acquisition||Gift of Alice Austen|
|Ownership and History||
Public School 28 was built in 1907-1908. It still stands on its original site as part of Historic Richmond Town.
Public School 28 was one of several new schools built in the years following the 1898 consolidation of Greater New York, when Staten Island became a borough of New York City. The architect was Charles B. J. Snyder (1860-1945), a specialist in school design who also served as the Superintendent of School Buildings.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|