|Title||[Happyland Park, South Beach, Staten Island]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Diagonal view of buildings in Happyland Park on the boardwalk at South Beach, Staten Island, with the beach in the foreground. There are numerous men and women on the beach and on the boardwalk. At right is a large building with sign "HAPPY." Other signs visible along the boardwalk include "NUNLEY'S;" "HARRIS'S / BATHING / PAVILION;" and "BATHING." A small area in the lower left corner has been retouched with white and black ink. Handwritten inscription at top: "1908." Handwritten inscription at bottom: "1907." Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "View at / Happyland, South Beach, S.I."
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||4.875 x 6.875|
|Acquisition||Gift of Edwin Skinner|
|Ownership and History||
This is one of a group of photographs donated to the Historical Society in 1952 by Edwin H. Skinner, who for many years was manager of the Staten Island Beach Land Improvement Company in South Beach.
The opening of Happyland Park was reported in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle on June 27, 1906: "Happyland is the name of a new seaside pleasure resort....Happyland fronts on the water and has a board walk more than 1,000 feet long. In it are vaudeville shows, of the 'free' variety, scenic railways, Japanese tea gardens, an Alladin's roof garden, natural groves, spectacular shows, aerial and acquatic performances, a grove where the women and children may gather, and Bolossy Kiralfy's 'Carnival in Venice,' a spectacle depicting the festivities of Venice in the early part of the fifteenth century. There will be 500 people in the cast of this spectacular production, and it will be presented in an auditorium, the beauty of which may be imagined from the fact that it cost $50,000 to build..."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Skinner, Edwin H.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|