|Title||[Village of Richmond]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Lake, John E. [possible]|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. View of Richmond, Staten Island, seen from an elevated vantage point (the hill north of St. Andrew's Church). Overview of numerous buildings, including: St. Andrew's Church in the right foreground with the church cemetery to its left; Third County Courthouse in the center of the image; Richmond County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office; Stephens-Black House; Bennett House; Marsh & Nolan Carriage Factory (at far left); St. Patrick's Church (at far left behind the carriage factory); Second County Courthouse; and the Dutch Reformed Church (at right). The two-and-a-half story Richmond County Hall is behind St. Andrew's Church near the center of the photo. In the foreground at left is Richmond Hill Road, unpaved; Arthur Kill Road, Richmond Road, Old Mill Road, and Court Place are also visible.
(Keywords: New York, HRT)
|Print size||7.125 x 9.625|
|Acquisition||Gift of Alvin Simonson and Emma Montgomery|
|Ownership and History||
This is the earliest known photograph of Richmond, Staten Island. Near the center of the image is the area that now comprises Historic Richmond Town, with its iconic courthouse bell tower reaching toward the horizon.
St. Andrew's Church, visible in the foreground, appears in this photo as an empty shell of a building, with no roof. This indicates that the photo was taken after the fire of March 29, 1867, when, according to historians Leng & Davis, "nothing was left but the four solid walls of stone." The church was rebuilt and services resumed in the building in August 1868. It does not appear in this photo that the Edwards-Barton House had been built yet, which confirms that the photograph pre-dates the 1869 construction of the house.
Cities & towns
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|