|Title||[Pharmacy interior, probably Terrace Pharmacy or Eugene Jones Pharmacy]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Five men are seated behind a makeshift table in an interior; another men kneels on the floor in front. The table is covered with newspaper, and is supported by wooden crates standing on end. The men all wear white shirts; one wears and vest, and the others wear suspenders. On the floor in the foreground is a metal pail on a small stove, a basket filled with clams, and a pail on a burner. At left is a broom. There are two signs on the table: "DON'T SPIT / ON / THE FLOOR" [at left] and " No / Profanity / Allowed / Fine / 2.5 Bones" [at right]. Items on the table include several beverage bottles, plates, and bowls. Two of the men hold cigars. Handwritten inscriptions in two different handwritings on the reverse of the mount identify some of the men: "Geo DeHart" [far left] / "Theodore / Decker" [center] / "Eugene / Jones" [second from right] / "Charlie [Wright or Night]" [front].
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||6.250 x 8|
|Acquisition||Gift of Dorothy DeHart|
|Ownership and History||
In the early 1900s, George Washington DeHart worked in the pharmacy of Eugene Jones in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. In 1904 he received his license to practice pharmacy in New York State, and the following year he opened his own business, the Terrace Pharmacy, at 2922 Richmond Terrace, Mariners Harbor.
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1959 by Dorothy DeHart, daughter of George Washington DeHart.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
DeHart, George Washington
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|