|Title||[Bethlehem Steel propeller plant]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Original B&W print. Interior of a large building which contains two very large propellers for ships; two men are working on another propeller. A beam in front of one of the propellers has inscription "BETH. STEEL CO. / LEADER IN THE WORLD'S / PROPELLER INDUSTRY / STATEN ISLAND YARD". Handwritten inscription on reverse, probably added by donor: "Prop / Balancing setups". Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse in upper right corner: "K1114".
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||8 x 10|
|Acquisition||Gift of Richard L. Katzenstein|
|Ownership and History||Richard L. Katzenstein (1915-1997), the donor of this photo, worked as a test engineer in Bethlehem Steel's Staten Island shipyard from 1938 to 1958. The shipyard closed in the 1960s, but the propeller plant remained in operation until 1972.|
Boat & ship industry
Boat & ship companies
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Katzenstein, Richard L.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, 2012.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|