|Title||[Two children at the Flake family home]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of a house on Arthur Kill Road in Richmond, Staten Island. A girl and a boy stand on the front porch; the girl wears a cap and a coat and is holding a muff. The boy wears a cape overcoat, gloves, and a tam-o-shanter cap. An outbuilding is visible along the south side of the house. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "1966 / Flake House, Richmondtown. Built 1855 as / parsonage of the Reformed Dutch Church, which / stood upon the property at the corner of / Arthur Kill Road and Center St. The Rev. / Mr. Peck was its first occupant; he was / followed by three or four ministers. Doctor / Mundy, a physician, then occupied it. / He was followed by Mr. & Mrs. William L. Flake, / who became its owners in 1885. Mrs. / Flake died 1940, subsequent to which / time it has been occupied by Dr. & Mrs. / Henry G. Steinmeyer. / H.G.S. 1951 / This photograph taken c. 1890".
(Keyword: HRT, New York)
|Print size||5.875 x 8.125|
|Acquisition||Gift of Dr. Henry G. Steinmeyer|
|Ownership and History||
This building was constructed in 1855 to serve as the parsonage for the Reformed Dutch Church which stood nearby. After the congregation ceased to be active, the parsonage became a private residence. This photo was likely taken when William and Leah (Crocheron) Flake and their children resided in the house. The children standing on the porch are likely Lottie Flake (born in 1884) and her brother William Jr. (born in 1887).
The Parsonage still stands today as part of Historic Richmond Town.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Flake, Leah S. (Crocheron)
Flake, William (Sr.)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|