Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Group apparatus]
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date May 23, 1893
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. Interior view of a gymnasium, where six women pose with various pieces of athletic equipment. Among the equipment visible in the photo are Indian clubs, dumbbells, an archery target, a football, and golf clubs.
(Keywords: New York City)
Film Size 6.5x8.5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Alice Austen's friend Delia Marie Elliott (nicknamed Daisy) worked as the gymnasium director at the Berkeley Ladies' Athletic Club, located at 23 West 44th Street in Manhattan. The club provided elaborate facilities exclusively for the use of their female members. In this photo, Daisy Elliott is holding the rings, while Maria Ward (known by the nickname Violet), another friend of Alice Austen, is seen at far left holding a football. Violet's sister Caroline stands just to the right of Daisy.

An article in the Middletown Times-Press on February 25, 1893, described the fourth annual open exhibition at the club: "...marching and calisthenics and dumbbell work, and the work at the weights and swingings and twistings and gyrations on horizontal bars, parallel bars, trapezes and flying rings..."

A notice in the New York Times on February 23, 1895, announced that the club name would be changed to the Berkeley Gymnasium, and they would offer a wider range of activities, including an evening class for "business women and girls."

Earliest Date 1893
Latest Date 1893
Subjects Gymnastics
Sports
Sport clothes
Gymnasiums
Athletic clubs
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Elliott, Daisy
Ward, Maria E.
Ward, Caroline Constantia
Catalog Number 50.015.6632
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.