|Title||[Morgan & Perry carriage factory]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on thin cardboard mount, which has been glued to a larger mount (the larger mount is not original to the photo). View of a long two-story clapboard building with 4 open double doors; one of the doors is on the second floor, with a wooden ramp and platform leading to it. Fourteen men, probably all workmen, are at various locations on the ground, on the ramp, and in doorways. Numerous carriages are on the ground in front of the building; two carriages are on the platform outside the second-floor door; one carriage is visible inside the building. A sign is on the right side of the building at the roof line: "MORGAN & PERRY." One of the men standing on the ramp is painting lettering on the side of a carriage, which appears to read in part "WOOD'S EXPRESS."
(Keywords: West New Brighton, Castleton Avenue, Carriage Factory, New York)
|Print size||6.875 x 8.625|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mrs. Bertha Jones|
|Ownership and History||
Carriage manufacturing was a significant business on Staten Island by the mid-19th century. The carriages visible in this photo appear to be primarily small personal-use vehicles rather than commercial vehicles.
The Morgan & Perry carriage factory was located in West New Brighton, Staten Island. In January 1887 they suffered a major fire that destroyed the building's upper floor, and in April of that year, a local newspaper reported that the firm was planning to go out of business.
Carriages & coaches
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Morgan, James E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, October 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|