|Title||[Dejonge house moving]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. View of a building in the process of being moved downhill across a grassy area. The building is seen from the side, and has three shuttered windows; another shutter appears to hang open on the left end of building. Several men, probably workers, are standing in various locations, some holding tools; one holds the hand of a small boy. A horse-drawn carriage is in the background, with a woman and child inside; another small boy stands at left, holding a horse harnessed to a piece of equipment. At far left, another horse appears to be harnessed to another piece of equipment that is partially visible, possibly a capstan. All of the people are facing the camera. The building is raised off the ground on a track-like structure made of heavy wooden beams laid on top of shorter beams, similar to railroad ties. A block and tackle is attached to the front of the building's support, with the rope leading over several wooden posts toward the horse and equipment at far left. Trees and a fence are in the background. Handwritten inscriptions on reverse in several different handwritings: "De Johned [crossed out and corrected to Jonge] / Richmond Turnpike / Heineman / One of the Geo Heineman House moving projects."
(Keywords: New York)
|Print size||6.25 x 9.75|
|Ownership and History||
House movers in the 1800s used horses, ropes, rollers, capstans, and block and tackle to move structures.
The George Heineman House Moving Company of Stapleton, Staten Island, advertised their services as early as 1868, and remained in business through 1929. George Heineman (ca. 1860-1931) resided in Stapleton with his wife Mary and their two children. His son George worked with him in his house-moving business.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|