|Title||[Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill)]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Simonson, Frederick M.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print with color added. Side view of Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill), with tall grass in the foreground. Mill is a three-story shingled building on the edge of a creek. The side of the building has four windows and three doors, one on each story; there is a one-story addition on the right. The structure is raised up on piers in the water. A rowboat is alongside the building. There are two buildings to the left of the mill, one partially visible behind the mill, and a church steeple is visible in the distance at right (probably St. Andrew's). A hill with trees is in the background. Color has been added to the photo in the green grass, blue sky, and brown buildings, with small areas of red. Photo is glued to a beige cardboard mount.
(Keywords: Richmond, Gristmill, New York, HRT)
|Print size||4.625 x 6.875|
|Ownership and History||
The massive tidal gristmill at the head of the Fresh Kills near Richmond, Staten Island, was probably built about 1760. Known during the Revolution as Beadle's Mill, it was owned by a family named Crocheron from about 1800 to the early 1850s, when it was acquired by William Geib. Two Seaver brothers, Patrick and Lawrence, recent emigrants from Ireland, operated the mill for Geib from the early 1850s through the 1870s, when the building was sold to the Simonsons. The structure remained in use to the end of the century; it was destroyed in 1922.
Frederick M. Simonson was an amateur photographer who resided in Port Richmond, Staten Island, where he worked as a brush salesman.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|