|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
|Description||Original B&W print. View of the Richmond Lighthouse on Lighthouse Hill in Richmond, Staten Island. The lighthouse is an octagonal brick tower with light at top; its sides have rectangular stair windows, and the base is rusticated stone. Near the top is a walkway with railing, supported by decorative brackets. An unpaved path or roadway, a fence, and vegetation are in the foreground. Leafy trees are visible in the background and at the edges of the photograph. (Keywords: Lighthouse Hill, Edinboro Road, Richmond Light, Staten Island Light, New York City, Twentieth Century)|
|Print size||4 x 3|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
The Richmond Lighthouse is also known as the Staten Island Rear Range Lighthouse and the Ambrose Channel Rear Range Light. The lighthouse went into operation in 1912 and still operates as of 2016. In 1968 it was designated a New York City Landmark, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
On April 15, 1912, the New York Times reported on the lighthouse's first night of operation: "On Richmond Heights, S.I., there will blaze to-night for the first time a great light that can be seen for thirty-five miles at sea. The light will be in the new lighthouse that the Government has built to guide ocean steamships that enter New York Harbor via the Ambrose Channel route. The light tower is made of red brick and rests on a base of white limestone. Occupying, as it does, one of the most commanding locations on Staten Island, it can be seen at sea for miles by day, and so will be a guide by day as well as by night..."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|