|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Empire Photo Pub. Co.|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on brown cardboard mount. Diagonal view of a wooden pier with a number of boats on the pier; water is in the foreground. Beyond the pier is a long wood frame building with front and side doors and numerous windows. A man stands on a boat in the right foreground. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "Haughwout Boatyard / foot of South Avenue / Mariners Harbor"
(Keywords: Maritime, Shipbuilding, New York)
|Print size||6.125 x 8|
|Ownership and History||
William M. Haughwout's boat building business was located at the foot of South Avenue, near the Kill van Kull. When he became ill in the early 1900s, his son George W. Haughwout took over management of the company. In 1911, they advertised their business as the "Oldest yacht and boat builder on Staten Island…Headquarters for Mariners Harbor Yacht Club, with 150 members, which occupy the upper portion of the main building, and finds ample and convenient storage for yachts. Mr. Haughwout makes a specialty of yacht building, repairing and storage."
This photo came to the Staten Island Historical Society from the estate of Alice Eleanor Haughwout, daughter of George W. Haughwout.
Boat & ship companies
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Haughwout, William Meyers
Haughwout, George W.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.