Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Acorn Inn Restaurant]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Sykes, C. A.
Date ca. 1936
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print. Diagonal front and side view of the building that is now Historic Richmond Town's Voorlezer's House on Arthur Kill Road in Richmond, Staten Island. The view shows the 1880s addition (the section of the building at right, which is no longer standing), which has the sign "Acorn Inn / RESTAURANT" on the front and side. There is a porch on the north side with a sign: "Acorn Inn / ENTRANCE". Handwritten inscription: "January 1936 / Modern addition to the Right".
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
Print size 4.375 x 6.375
Ownership and History Built ca. 1696, the Voorlezer's House had many owners and served many functions throughout the centuries. This image captures its incarnation as the Acorn Inn, a restaurant, grocery, and confectionery store that operated from ca. 1925 to 1936.
Earliest Date 1935
Latest Date 1937
Subjects Houses
Restaurants
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People George, Nicholas
Catalog Number PH01.0770
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.