|Title||[J.C. Vought bicycle store interior]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Interior view of a bicycle shop. A man stands behind a wooden counter at right; he wears overalls, a sweater, and a cap, and has a pipe in his mouth. He holds a piece of paper in his hands, and a variety of tools are on the counter. The wall behind him and to the left have shelves filled with boxes, cans, and bottles; at far left are two racks of safety bicycles. A boy sits on a box at left, holding a bicycle tire that is mounted on a piece of machinery; several bicycle tires and inner tubes lean against the wall. Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "J.C. Vought interior / 18 Bay St. Tompkinsville / c. 1910 / Automobiles and Bicycles Shop".
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century, Automobile, Bicycle)
|Print size||5.250 x 8|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
The man behind the counter, presumably Mr. Vought, has an assortment of tools spread out in front of him. Although bicycle riders could purchase repair kits to fix flat tires while on a ride, the poor quality of many roads likely caused some riders to need more substantial repairs.
James C. Vought (1856-1911) lived in Tompkinsville, Staten Island, with his wife and daughter, and his occupation changed over the years to keep up with new modes of transportation. In the 1880 and 1900 census he was listed as a harness maker. In the 1906 Staten Island directory his business was listed in the category "Bicycle Dealers." By the time of the 1910 census, his occupation was listed as "Car Repairer, Auto Garage." His business card stated that he repaired both automobiles and bicycles, and related photograph PH01.0113 shows his storefront, which advertises automobiles, bicycles, and harness.
Bicycles & tricycles
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Vought, James C.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|