Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Schwiebert House and Richmond Wagon Works]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Bear, George
Date ca. 1912
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of the Schwiebert House on Richmond Road in Richmond, Staten Island, with the Richmond Wagon Works at left. The two-story brick house has a front porch with four columns. A stone retaining wall in front of the house has a metal gate with the letter "S" near the top. Three women and five men stand on porch and on the lawn, facing the camera. The three-story brick carriage factory building at left has two signs: "[CARRIAGE & WAGON?] PAINTING," and "JOHN F. SCHWIEBERT/ / RICHMOND WAGON WORKS." A two-story wooden building at far left has two horse-drawn vehicles partly visible in front. Inscription at lower right: "Bear / S.I." Handwritten inscription on reverse: "Property of: -- / Anita Volz / 225 Ardsley St. / # 6". A copy print of this photo provides identifications of the people in the photo: (from left to right) Frieda Schwiebert, John Henry Schwiebert, John Herman Schwiebert; on the porch, from left to right: unidentified man, the first Mrs. Schwiebert and her husband, Dorothy Schwiebert to the right of the steps, and J. Frederick Schwiebert at far right.
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
Print size 10.5 x 13.5
Ownership and History The Schwiebert House, which is now part of Historic Richmond Town, was built 1909-1910 as the home of John Frederick Schwiebert, his wife Anna, and their children. Mr. Schwiebert, who immigrated to the U.S. from Germany in 1881, was the owner of the Richmond Wagon Works carriage manufactory located next door to his home.
Earliest Date 1910
Latest Date 1915
Subjects Houses
Families
Carriages & coaches
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Schwiebert, John F., Sr.
Catalog Number PH01.1266
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.