|Title||[Dobler's Court House Hotel]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
|Description||Original B&W print on black cardboard mount. Front and side exterior view of a two-story clapboard building with two signs on the front: "DOBLER'S COURT HOUSE HOTEL." and "RUBSAM & HORRMANN'S BEER". The building has striped awnings on all of the second floor windows. An open-top car is parked in front of the porch, with a man in the driver's seat and three male passengers. A group of nine men, women, and children are on the building's porch, some seated around a table. A man standing in the center wears what looks like a waiter's or bartender's uniform; he holds a bottle and a tray. A horse-drawn carriage is parked along the side of the building; another two-story building is in the background. A utility pole with a streetlight and a sign "TELEPHONE / PAY STATION" is in the center foreground. (Keywords: Richmond, Center Street, Tysen Court, Automobile, Courthouse, New York, HRT)|
|Print size||6.5 x 8.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Marlene Elia in memory of The Dobler Family|
|Ownership and History||
Dobler's Court House Hotel was located across the street from the Third County Courthouse in Richmond, Staten Island. The location is now part of Historic Richmond Town.
The hotel was constructed in 1855, and had several owners before being acquired by Julius Dobler, a German immigrant, in 1898. Dobler expanded the building, but business declined when county government offices were moved from Richmond to St. George, and the hotel closed ca. 1926. This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 2008 by Julius Dobler's great-granddaughter.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|