|Title||[Edmund N. Crocheron's store]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Exterior view of a small 1 1/2-story building with a one-story addition at left. The building at right has large windows on each side of a recessed doorway. There is a sign above the door: "[E.] N. CROCHERON." A printed sign hangs in the window at right: "J. M. THORBURN & CO.'S / NEW Y[OR?]K / FRESH GARDEN SEEDS / FOR SALE HERE." A sign is in the window at left: "[T]IMOTHY SEED / [F]OR SALE / HERE". Two women and two children stand near the entrance. Three vertical posts, possibly hitching posts, stand alongside what appears to be a wooden sidewalk in front of the store,with an unpaved street in the foreground. There is a streetlight at far left. Handwritten inscription on reverse, probably added by a previous cataloger: "EDDIE CROCHERON'S STORE / RICHMOND."
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
|Print size||4.25 x 6|
|Acquisition||Gift of Helen Crocheron Brown|
|Ownership and History||
This store, owned by Edmund Nicholas Crocheron (1856-1912), was located on Arthur Kill Road in Richmond, Staten Island. Known as "Eddie's Store," it was opened in 1877 as a cigar and tobacco store, and some years later Mr. Crocheron added another room, which he stocked with hardware. After Mr. Crocheron completed a correspondence course in pharmacy, he made his business into a drugstore.
Local resident Katherine Seaman reminisced about "Eddie's Store" in an article she wrote in 1938: "Everyone went to Eddie's, even if he didn't need anything, just for a friendly chat; and as there were not enough chairs to go round, some of the callers leaned upon the glass cases, which was unsafe, as glass was not shatter-proof at that time. So Eddie had pasted on the favorite leaning-case a picture of a very fierce undershot bulldog with the words 'Don't lean on Me'..."
Stores & shops
Children & adults
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Crocheron, Edmund Nicholas
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|