|Title||[Barber shop at 12 Richmond Avenue]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Studio or Publisher||Empire Photo View Co.|
|Date||May 25, 1904|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on cardboard mount. Interior view of a barber shop, with two men posed for the camera. Each man leans against a chair that has arms and an adjustable head rest. The chairs face a large mirror, which is mounted over a counter with bottles on top and drawers beneath. At left is a large case containing shaving mugs; the top of the case holds a row of bottles. Stamped inscription on reverse of the mount: "EMPIRE PHOTO VIEW CO., / 757 THIRD AVE., COR. 47TH ST., / NEW YOR[K]". Handwritten inscriptions on reverse of mount: "No 12 RICHMOND AVE / PORT RICHMOND S.I. / N.Y." and "TAKEN WEDNESDAY / MAY 25TH 1904 / TIME 11.30 A.M. / THOSE ON PICTURE ARE / WINDY MORE. AND / LOUIS ECKETT."
(Keywords: New York City)
|Print size||5 x 8|
|Acquisition||Gift of Barbara Hunsdorfer Hotinski|
|Ownership and History||
This photograph shows the interior of the barber shop owned by Louis Eckett (1875-1959), one of the men seen in this photograph. Mr. Eckett worked as a barber for more than 30 years. His shop was located at 12 Richmond Avenue in Port Richmond, Staten Island.
Note the large case at left, filled with shaving mugs. In the years before safety razors became commonplace, men shaved their beards with straight razors, and many men preferred to visit a barber when they needed a shave. A regular customer might keep his own personalized shaving mug at the barber shop for the barber to use in making lather for shaving, and in fact many of the mugs seen in this photo have names or illustrations, suggesting that they were personalized items.
For examples of personalized shaving mugs, see catalog records A41.0024, A41.0032, A41.0068, and A41.0075..
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.