|Title||[Treasure House from rear]|
|Object Name||Negative, Film|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W film negative and corresponding original B&W print. Exterior rear and side view of the Treasure House at Historic Richmond Town on Staten Island. The structure has two sections with clapboard siding, steeply-pitched roofs, and a high stone foundation that appears to be whitewashed. A large, bare tree is in the foreground of the photo. A chair and a clothesline with hanging laundry are also visible.
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
|Print size||5.625 x 7.5|
|Film Size||2.375 x 3.375|
|Ownership and History||
The Treasure House takes its name from a local legend that a cache of gold coins was discovered in the house during the nineteenth century.
Samuel Grasset, a tanner and leather worker, built the original section of the house around 1700 and lived there with his wife Martha. Other families and businesses occupied the structure throughout subsequent centuries. In the 1920s it was leased by nearby residents Bertha and Willett Conner for business use.
The photographer, Loring McMillen (1906-1991), became Staten Island's Borough Historian in 1934 and went on to a long and influential career in the fields of public history and building preservation. McMillen served as one of 11 original members of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission and a leader in the establishment of Richmondtown Restoration (now Historic Richmond Town).
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Conner, Bertha (Manee)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2014.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|