|Title||[Pharmacy interior, possibly Terrace Pharmacy]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. View of a drugstore interior. Two men are in the center, one standing and one seated in a chair; they are between a soda counter at left and a display counter with glass cases at right. The back and right walls have shelves filled with bottles. A large sign "PHARMACY" is behind the men; a clock is mounted above a cabinet with the word "CASH" on front. Two wrapping paper dispensers are mounted at the far end of the counter at right. A bottle of "COD / LIVER / OIL" is visible on the right counter. Handwritten inscriptions in pen on mount above and below photo: "[first part of inscription is missing] Between Bush Ave & Harbor Road / Eugene Jones G.W DeHart." Handwritten inscriptions in pencil on reverse, in two different handwritings: "Gene Jone / GW. DeHart / Store between Bush & Harbor Road, Richmond Ter" and Drug Store / G.W. DeHart."
The interior of this store differs from the store pictured in 59.005.0012, which is identified as Eugene Jones' pharmacy, so this photo may show George DeHart's pharmacy (the Terrace Pharmacy on Richmond Terrace).
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||5.875 x 8|
|Acquisition||Gift of Dorothy DeHart|
|Ownership and History||
In the early 1900s, George Washington DeHart worked in the pharmacy of Eugene Jones in Mariners Harbor, Staten Island. In 1904 he received his license to practice pharmacy in New York State, and the following year he opened his own business, the Terrace Pharmacy, at 2922 Richmond Terrace, Mariners Harbor.
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1959 by Dorothy DeHart, daughter of George Washington DeHart.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
DeHart, George Washington
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|