Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Diederick's Hotel]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1880-1890
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Front view of the first floor of a brick building. There are two doors, with a window in between. Sign above the first floor: "10 F. DIEDERICK 10 / THE BACHMANN BREWING CO. Centennial LAGER BEER." Inscription on the awning above the doorway at left: "F. DIEDERICK'S." Inscription on the awning above the window between the doors: "LIQUORS & CIGARS." Two men stand outside the doorway at left, and two men look out the window. Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "Hotel 192 Bay St."
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 4.875 x 7
Ownership and History Frederick Diederick's hotel and saloon were listed in the 1886 Staten Island directory at 10 Griffin Street (now Bay Street) in Tompkinsville. The building later became part of the Stork's Nest restaurant (see catalog record 79.022.2596).

His hotel was favorably described in the publication "Illustrated Sketch Book of Staten Island," published in 1886: "...This hotel is centrally located, pleasantly fitted up, and largely patronized. It overlooks the Bay, and the view from its front windows is one of beauty, variety, and wide range. It is a great resort for parties from the city. The cuisine of this house is under capable and efficient management, and it would be hard to find a better dinner than is provided. The best of wines, liquors and cigars, and Staten Island's celebrated lager are always in the bar. Visitors and strangers are always welcome and are courteously received. Mr. Frederick Diederick is sole proprietor..."

Earliest Date 1880.0
Latest Date 1890.0
Subjects Hotels
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Diederick, Frederick
Catalog Number PH01.1020
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.