Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Arthur Kill Road]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1930s
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W print (probably made from a vintage negative). Photograph showing a street scene in Richmond, Staten Island. View of buildings along the west side of Arthur Kill Road, as seen from Center Street; a playground with swings and a slide is in the foreground, on the east side of Arthur Kill Road. The building at far left has a sign "CANDY - CIGARS / DRINK / Coca-Cola". The building in the center is the former Second County Courthouse with a one-story extension in front (later the Fairway Club). The Treasure House is to the right of the Second County Courthouse, and the steeple of St. Andrew's Church is visible behind it. A very small building at the edge of the road by the playground has a sign on top: "POLICE" / [the rest of the sign is not clearly legible, but may read "SIGNAL STATION"]. White areas in the image appear have been caused by glare on the camera lens.
(Keywords: New York, HRT)
Print size 8 x 10
Ownership and History While most of the structures in this photograph are no longer extant, the Treasure House (at right) and the Church of St. Andrew (steeple in the distance) remain standing. This portion of Arthur Kill Road now runs through Historic Richmond Town.
Earliest Date 1929
Latest Date 1940
Subjects Playgrounds
Streets
Neighborhoods
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.0227
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.