|Title||[P. Bessi's Pavilion, South Beach, Staten Island]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print with fabric backing and a paper tab at left (appears to have been part of an album). View of the beach at South Beach, Staten Island. At left are a one-story and a two-story building; a boardwalk with a gazebo and a covered pavilion extends out onto the beach. Sign on the roof of the gazebo: "P. BESSI'S PAVILION. / LEMBECK & BETZ LAGER BEER." A similar sign is on the pavilion: ""P. BESSI'S PAVILION. / LEMBECK & BETZ EXTRA BEER." There are people on the beach and boardwalk. Handwritten inscription on reverse: "South Beach / Album c 1916."
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||4.625 x 6.625|
|Acquisition||Gift of Edwin Skinner|
|Ownership and History||
This is one of a group of photographs donated to the Historical Society in 1952 by Edwin H. Skinner, who for many years was manager of the Staten Island Beach Land Improvement Company in South Beach.
Peter Bessi immigrated to the U.S. from Italy in 1882, and in 1888 he opened a hotel at South Beach. His obituary in 1928 stated that his hotel "had entertained most of the prominent Italians who have come to New York since 1890."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Skinner, Edwin H.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|