|Title||[Stork's Nest Restaurant]|
|Object Name||Negative, Film|
|Photographer||Flamm, Herbert A.|
|Date||January 16, 1956|
|Collection||Herbert A. Flamm Photograph Collection|
Original B&W film negative. Front view of several adjoining three-story buildings; the building at left has Tudor architectural elements. Sign on the center building: "STORK'S NEST". Sign in the window of the building at far left: "LADIES & GENTS / TAILOR". Sign on the building at far right: "TOMMY'S TAVERN". Cars are parked on the street in front of the buildings.
(Keywords: New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Film Size||8 x 10|
|Acquisition||Gift of Herbert A. Flamm|
|Ownership and History||
The Stork's Nest restaurant, at 192 Bay Street in Tompkinsville, Staten Island, was first listed under that name in the 1933 telephone directory; it had previously been listed as Storck Bros. at the same address. The restaurant's name changed to The Nest in 1949, and later that same year became Volpe's Nest. In 1955 it was once again advertised as Stork's Nest, under new management.
The restaurant was mentioned in a 1933 newspaper article that identified it as one of three "alleged speakeasies" on Staten Island that had filed a complaint against two Prohibition Agents accused of extortion.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|