Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Marine Repair Shop, Pier 15, Foreign Trade Zone]
Object Name Negative, Film
Photographer Flamm, Herbert A.
Date June 17, 1948
Collection Herbert A. Flamm Photograph Collection
Description Original B&W film negative. View of a large building on a pier along the waterfront. Sign on the building: "MARINE REPAIR SHOP / STATEN ISLAND BRANCH". Location is Pier 15 at the Foreign Trade Zone in Stapleton, Staten Island.
(Keywords: Free Port, New York City, Twentieth Century)
Film Size 4 x 5
Acquisition Gift of Herbert A. Flamm
Ownership and History Stapleton, Staten Island was the site of the first Foreign Trade Zone in the United States, also known as the Free Port. It was in operation from 1937 until 1942, when the Stapleton piers were taken over for government use, and then resumed for some years after the end of World War II in 1945.
Earliest Date 1948
Latest Date 1948
Subjects Waterfronts
Piers & wharves
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 79.022.6555
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2015.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.