Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title O'Connor's blacksmith shop, interior large
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date November 18, 1896
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. Interior view of a blacksmith's shop with three men working. There are two forges, both attached to large bellows. The man at left works at an anvil with tongs and hammer to form a horseshoe. There are two piles of horseshoes on the floor. Two bare light bulbs hang from wires overhead. A chalk inscription is visible on the side of the wooden crate that holds the anvil at left: "Mr. O Conner." Identified in the envelope inscription as O'Connor's blacksmith shop in Rosebank, Staten Island.
(Keywords: New York)
Film Size 6.5x8.5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Michael O'Connor, blacksmith and horse-shoer, is listed in the 1895-1896 Staten Island directory with a business address of 29 Griffin Street (today part of Bay Street) in Tompkinsville. Photographer Alice Austen took a series of photos of the interior and exterior of Mr. O'Connor's shop on November 16 and 18, 1896.
Earliest Date 1896
Latest Date 1896
Subjects Blacksmithing
Blacksmiths
Interiors
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 50.015.6490
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2013.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.