Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [St. Patrick's Church]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Benedict, Coleman
Date ca. 1900-1907
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Modern B&W print made from original negative. Front and side view of St. Patrick's Church, as seen looking up St. Patrick's Place from the direction of Clarke Avenue in Richmond, Staten Island. There are several small buildings behind the church, and a small building in the left foreground. A wooden split rail fence runs along the road by an open field, and a wooden picket fence is around the church. On the left side of the road are two poles that may be telegraph poles.
(Keywords: New York City, HRT, Early Twentieth Century)
Print size 5 x 7.125
Acquisition Gift of Grace Benedict Hyland
Ownership and History St. Patrick’s Church is the home of a Roman Catholic parish founded in 1862. It was the fifth Catholic church established on Staten Island, built at a time when many new immigrants, especially increasing numbers of Irish and German Catholic people, were settling in areas in and around Richmond.

The church building, an example of early Romanesque Revival style, was designated a New York City Landmark in 1968.

This photo was taken by Coleman Benedict (1874-1932), an amateur photographer. His profession was jeweler, working with his father and other family members at the Benedict Brothers jewelry and clock business that was founded in 1819 by his grandfather, Samuel Ward Benedict. Coleman Benedict's obituary in the New York Times noted that "he was regarded as a gem expert and an experienced clock maker."
Earliest Date 1900
Latest Date 1907
Subjects Churches
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Benedict, Coleman
Catalog Number PH01.0224
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, June 2016.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.