|Title||[Dutch Reformed Church, Richmond]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of the Reformed Dutch Church at its second location in Richmond, Staten Island. The building stands slightly above the ground on piers. A small outbuilding is in the background at right; the house that is now Historic Richmond Town's Stephens-Black House is partially visible at far left. Center Street is in the foreground. Handwritten inscription on reverse: "Dutch Reformed Church / at / Richmond."
(Keywords: HRT, New York City)
|Print size||3.875 x 4.875|
|Acquisition||Gift of Leah Crocheron Flake|
|Ownership and History||
The building seen in this photograph was erected in 1808 by the Reformed Dutch Church in Richmond, Staten Island, to replace an earlier structure. This photograph was made after the structure was no longer used as a church. It was relocated ca. 1885-1887 from its original location near the corner of Arthur Kill Road and Center Street to a nearby location on Center Street closer to a carriage and wagon manufactory, where it was used as factory storage or work space before being demolished in 1903.
This photograph was donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1935 by Mrs. Leah (Crocheron) Flake. The Flake family lived for many years in the parsonage of the Dutch Reformed Church.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, June 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|