Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Miss Elliott & Miss Lawrence on double rings, lower gym
Object Name Negative, Glass-plate
Photographer Austen, E. Alice
Date May 23, 1893
Collection Alice Austen Photograph Collection
Description Original glass plate negative. Interior of a gymnasium. Violet Ward sits on the parallel bars at left, while on the right Daisy Elliott (far right) and another woman stand together at the top of a ramp and hold rings attached to ropes. There is a piano at right and a vaulting horse to the left of the ramp. The rear wall holds Indian clubs, dumbbells, hoops, and other equipment, with a ship's wheel in the center. The original negative sleeve has the photographer's handwritten inscription: "Seed / 23 / No. 546 / Miss Elliott & Miss Lawrence on / double rings / Medium light / lower gym / P.L. / 10 secs / 12.40 PM / Stop 22 / Tuesday May 23d 1893 / Berkley A.C."
(Keywords: New York City)
Film Size 6.5x8.5
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History Alice Austen's friend Delia Marie Elliott (nicknamed Daisy) worked as the gymnasium director at the Berkeley Ladies' Athletic Club, located on 44th Street in Manhattan. The club provided elaborate facilities exclusively for the use of their female members. A notice in the New York Times on February 23, 1895, announced that the club name would be changed to the Berkeley Gymnasium, and they would offer a wider range of activities, including an evening class for "business women and girls."
Earliest Date 1893
Latest Date 1893
Subjects Athletic clubs
Gymnasiums
Sport clothes
Interiors
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Elliott, Daisy
Ward, Maria E.
Catalog Number 50.015.6591
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.
Legal Status Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.