Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Silver Lake Ice Company]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Bear, George
Date 1892
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print on gray cardboard mount. Three men stand in front of a horse-drawn wagon; they are on an unpaved street with buildings in the background. The men look directly toward the camera. Two horses are hitched to the wagon, which has an inscription on the side: "HENRY FRANZREB / SILVER LAKE / S.I. / HYGEIA / ICE." Printed inscription near bottom center of photo: "BEAR." Handwritten inscription near bottom center of photo: "PHOT. 1892." Two pairs of ice tongs hang from the back of the wagon, and the man in the center holds a pair of ice tongs in his right hand. Location identified by previous catalogers as Rocky Hollow, Staten Island.
(Keywords: New York)
Print size 11.5 x 17.375
Acquisition Gift of George Bear
Ownership and History John Franzreb and his son Henry operated an ice business in Silver Lake, Staten Island. Like a number of other ice companies in the 1890s and early 1900s, they used the name "Hygeia," referring to the Greek goddess of health and hygiene, to suggest the purity of their product.

Photographer George Bear (1856-1945) opened his studio on Beach Street in Stapleton, Staten Island, around 1881. He had apprenticed as a photographer in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. in the 1870s. Bear's clients were drawn primarily from the German-American community of Stapleton and frequently included factory workers, laborers, and tradesmen.
Earliest Date 1892
Latest Date 1892
Subjects Ice industry
Carts & wagons
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Bear, George
Franzreb, Henry
Catalog Number 39.007.0013
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Efron family in memory of Dr. Meryl Efron, July 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.