|Title||[The Roosevelts, Nellie Janssen, Gertrude Williams, Mr. Randolph Walker, Lunch Party]|
|Object Name||Negative, Glass-plate|
|Photographer||Austen, E. Alice|
|Date||October 1, 1892|
|Collection||Alice Austen Photograph Collection|
Original glass plate negative. Interior view of a group of four women seated and one man standing around a small table. The woman at left has a tennis racket leaning against her wicker chair, and another racket is laying on the floor near her. On the table are several bottles and glasses. In the background at left is a corner cupboard with ceramic teacups. Inscription "E.A.A" in lower right corner. The location is the clubhouse of the Staten Island Ladies Club in Livingston, Staten Island. The group is identified as Helena (nickname Nellie) Janssen, Gertrude Williams, Grace and Ellen Roosevelt, and Randolph St. George Walker.
(Keywords: New York)
|Film Size||4 x 5|
|Ownership and History||
The man standing behind the table is Randolph St. George Walker (1863-1949), who served as secretary and later as president of the Staten Island Cricket and Tennis Club. The New York Times described him as a "leader in society circles on Staten Island" in an 1894 article about his marriage to Helena Janssen. He held the position of secretary of the New-York Cotton Exchange. In 1917, he authored a history of the Staten Island Cricket and Tennis Club.
Walker Park in Staten Island is named for his son, Randolph St. George Walker Jr., who died in World War I.
The woman seated second from left appears to be Grace Roosevelt. Both she and her sister Ellen were noted tennis players of their day. The fourth woman in this group, Gertrude Williams, was a championship tennis player and a member of the Outdoors Ladies' Tennis Club.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Walker, Randolph St. George
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, August 2013.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|