|Title||Dutch Reformed Church, Richmond.|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Morris, Ira K. [attributed]|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on white cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of the Reformed Dutch Church at its second location in Richmond, Staten Island. The building stands slightly above the ground on piers; two other buildings are partly visible in the background at right. Handwritten inscription on mount: "Dutch Reformed Church, Richmond." Handwritten inscription on reverse: "Neg #11".
(Keywords: HRT, New York City)
|Print size||3.875 x 4.875|
|Acquisition||Gift of Cornelius G. Kolff|
|Ownership and History||
The building seen in this photograph was erected in 1808 by the Reformed Dutch Church in Richmond, Staten Island, to replace an earlier structure. This photograph was made after the structure was no longer used as a church. It was relocated ca. 1885-1887 from its original location near the corner of Arthur Kill Road and Center Street to a nearby location on Center Street closer to a carriage and wagon manufactory, where it was used as factory storage or work space before being demolished in 1903.
The photograph once belonged to Ira K. Morris, editor of several Staten Island newspapers and the author of the two-volume book "A Memorial History of Staten Island," published in 1898 and 1900. It is believed that Morris was most likely the photographer.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|