|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Front view of the Eltingville Store on its original site on Amboy Road in Eltingville, Staten Island, as seen from across the street. It is a small, one-story building with a lean-to addition at right. Two small girls are standing in front of the building. There is a painted inscription on the building over the porch roof: "GROCERIES". Handwritten inscription on reverse: "Grocery Store / 1880 / Amboy Rd off / Richmond Ave / Eltingville / Oct 1953".
(Keywords: HRT, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||3.5 x 4.875|
|Ownership and History||
The Eltingville Store is now presented as the Print Shop at Historic Richmond Town. It was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1961.
It is thought that the Eltingville Store was built ca. 1860, but the original location and owner are not documented. The building may at one time have served as a grocery store, as the word "Groceries," very faded, was painted on the front of the structure when it first came to the attention of Historic Richmond Town.
Stores & shops
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|