|Title||[Tompkins Department Store]|
|Object Name||Negative, Film|
|Photographer||Flamm, Herbert A.|
|Date||October 21, 1949|
|Collection||Herbert A. Flamm Photograph Collection|
Original B&W film negative. Interior view of Tompkins Department Store, showing displays of clothing. The store was located at 1230 Castleton Avenue in West New Brighton, Staten Island.
(Keywords: Twentieth Century, New York City)
|Film Size||8 x 10|
|Acquisition||Gift of Herbert A. Flamm|
|Ownership and History||
The Tompkins Store was established on Richmond Terrace in West New Brighton in 1877 by Frank W. Tompkins, who was age 17 at the time. The store was listed in the Staten Island directory of 1882 as "Frank W. Tompkins, men's, youth's, and children's clothing and gentlemen's furnishing goods of latest design and styles. No old stock."
In 1896 Mr. Tompkins opened the two-story Tompkins Department Store. He retired in 1921, but he sons continued the business. In 1925 they moved the store to a new location on Castleton Avenue.
|Exhibit Label Text||
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, July 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|