|Title||[Caisson for Staten Island - Brooklyn and New York subways]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Studio or Publisher||Almstaedt, Isaac|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Nine workmen stand on top of a large rectangular metal caisson with inscriptions on the side: "CAISSON FOR STATEN ISLAND - BROOKLYN AND NEW YORK SUBWAYS WAS / SUNK MARCH 4TH 1924 DURING THE ADMINISTRATION OF / JOHN F. HYLAN / MAYOR / CHARLES L. CRAIG / COMPTROLLER / MURRAY HULBERT / PRES. BOARD OF ALDERMEN / JOHN A. LYNCH / PRES. BOROUGH OF RICHMOND / EDWARD RIEGELMANN / PRES. BOROUGH OF BROOKLYN / GROVER A. WHALEN COMMISSIONER / DEPARTMENT OF PLANT AND STRUCTURES / ARTHUR S. TUTTLE CHIEF ENG. / THEODOR S. OXHOLM CONSULT. ENG."
(Keywords: New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Print size||7.625 x 9.875|
|Acquisition||Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Albert Roland|
|Ownership and History||
The notion of an underground link between Staten Island and Brooklyn or Manhattan was initially discussed as early as 1888. Actual construction of a railroad tunnel from St. George, Staten Island, to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, began in 1923, but was abandoned two years later.
Although this photograph has the stamp of Isaac Almstaedt's studio, the photographer was most likely Howard Udel, who took over the studio after Almstaedt's death in 1921.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, November 2015.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|