Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Marsh family house]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1860s-1890s
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description B&W copy print. Diagonal front and side view of a two-story building with a porch and spring eave supported by four square columns. A man and a small child stand on the porch at right. There is a wooden fence in front of the building, and a tall tree near the foot of the wide staircase leading to the porch. An inscription on the reverse identifies the man on the porch as Isaac Marsh on the porch of his residence, the former Second County Courthouse.
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
Print size 7 x 5
Ownership and History This building was constructed in 1793-1794 as the Second County Courthouse for Richmond County (Staten Island). Located on the west side of Arthur Kill Road, the two-story building had two rooms on the first floor, the larger of which served as a public hall, and the courtroom occupied the entire second floor. The building served its public function until the Third County Courthouse was completed in 1837. It was then sold at auction to Walter Betts, who moved the building back from the road, enlarged it, and made it into his private residence.

In 1861, the house was sold to Isaac M. Marsh, owner of the Marsh and Nolan Carriage Factory on Richmond Road. After Marsh's death in 1896, his daughter sold the property to Otto Schaeffer. Schaeffer added an addition to the front of the building and turned it into a tavern and restaurant known as "Schaeffer Hotel." The building continued to serve as a tavern and restaurant, as well as a residence, into the early 1940s.

The building was destroyed by arson in 1944.
Earliest Date 1861
Latest Date 1896
Subjects Houses
County government
Courthouses
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Associated People Marsh, Isaac M.
Catalog Number PH01.1249
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.