Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Staten Island Athletic Club boathouse]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Photographer Almstaedt, Isaac
Date ca. 1885
Collection Isaac Almstaedt Photograph Collection
Description Original B&W photo on gray cardboard mount. Diagonal back and side view of the Staten Island Athletic Club boathouse. There is a picket fence at left, and the waterfront is at right. A pencil line is drawn around the photo. Handwritten inscription in pencil at lower right (probably added later; does not appear to be the photographer's handwriting): "STATEN ISLAND A.C." (Keywords: New York)
Print size 4 x 6.625
Acquisition Museum Purchase
Ownership and History This photo shows the Staten Island Athletic Club's first boathouse, located at the foot of Franklin Avenue in New Brighton, Staten Island. The boathouse was destroyed by two passing tugboats in October 1886, and the Athletic Club opened a new boathouse in 1887.
Earliest Date 1879
Latest Date 1886
Subjects Athletic clubs
Boathouses
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number 96.019.0040.B
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Great Kills Woman's Club, July 2017.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.