|Title||[H.S. Brower hardware store]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Front view of a one-story building with attic and porch, identified as Brower's hardware store on Amboy Road in Great Kills, Staten Island. A woman and two young men stand in front of store; one of the men leans against a gasoline pump. A small child stands at right. Inscriptions on the store's windows: "H. S. BROWER / SANITARY PLUMBING & GAS FITTI[NG] / STEAM & HOT WATER HEATING" and "H. S. BROWER / ROOFING TIN & [S]HEET IRON WORK / STOVES, RAN[GES]". The number "3987" is visible over the door. The gasoline pump has a circular logo with inscription: "SO / [inside shield shape] SOCONY / MOTOR / GASOLINE". Handwritten inscriptions on reverse: "1918" and "MRS. H.S. BROWER / WES BROWER / JOHN BOHMAN . TOMMY FOREILLI". Stamped inscription on reverse: "BOLTER BROS. / PHOTOGRAPHERS / 9313--3rd AVENUE, / Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, N.Y. / Branch 407 Courtland St., BALTO., MD."
(Keywords: New York City)
|Print size||6.125 x 8|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Britten Hillyer|
|Ownership and History||
Herbert S. Brower (1863-1937) was listed with the occupation of tinsmith in the 1880 census. By 1915 his occupation was master plumber. His store, located at 3987 Amboy Road in Great Kills, began as a hardware store and grew over the years to include a variety of merchandise. A 1930 publication described it as "one hundred feet long and nearly forty feet wide, finely proportioned and containing a complete line of hardware and house furnishings of every description."
See photo 79.022.1698 for a view of Brower's Hardware Store as it appeared in 1952.
Stores & shops
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Brower, Herbert S.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.