|Title||[Robin Hood House]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of a 2 1/2 -story clapboard building with a front porch. The building is on an unpaved road. A man, two women, two boys and one girl stand at various places in front of and alongside the building; all look toward the camera. The girl and one boy stand in front of the porch, next to a goat-pulled cart that is piled with sacks. The other boy stands on the porch steps; a dog is nearby on the porch. The man and the two women are along the side of the building. A sign is on the front of the building below the top window: "G. CONNELLY." Both front windows have a sign "ROBIN HOOD / HOUSE". There is a sign on the corner of the house above the porch: "STATEN ISLAND BREWERY / LAGER BEER". Another sign is on the porch, leaning against the front of the building: "HAM & CHEESE Sandwiches /... " [the rest of the sign is illegible]. The porch also has a rustic bench, two barrels, and a cage with a bird or animal inside; a hitching post is in front of the porch. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse of mount: "Robin Hood House (inn) / 970 Richmond Rd. / Concord / c. 1890s / Burned 1897, owned by George & Clara Connelly".
(Keywords: Richmond Road, New York)
|Print size||7.625 x 9.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Mary Gemma|
|Ownership and History||
This photo came to the Staten Island Historical Society from the estate of Miss Alice E. Connelly. Miss Connelly was born in 1891 in the Robin Hood House, an inn that was owned by her parents, George and Clara Connelly. The building burned down in 1897, and a new one was built on the same site. The property remained in the family until the 1950s. Alice passed away in 1988.
The business was mentioned in the Richmond County Advance newspaper on March 26, 1904: "Weekly dances are held every Saturday at Connelly's Robin Hood Hotel, Concord."
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Connelley, Alice E.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, December 2012.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.