|Title||[John Bardes' Beach Street Market]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on beige cardboard mount. Front view of a two and a half story clapboard building with a storefront on the first floor. Animal carcasses hang under the porch roof; on the porch roof is a sign: "4 / JOHN BARDES. / BEACH STREET MARKET." Another sign with the same inscription hangs on the side of the porch. A child stands in the doorway, looking toward the camera. A horse-drawn wagon is stopped in front of the building. Part of an adjacent building and sign are visible at left, apparently a florist: "[---] NICKEL / [--]RIST. / FUNERAL ORDERS / PROMPTLY / ATTENDED TO." The street is unpaved, and there is snow piled along the sidewalk in the foreground. Handwritten inscription in pen on mount below image: "Mrs. Chris. J. Bardes". Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "John Bardes' butcher shop, Beach St. Adjoining / Gas. Co. Bldg. (Pape Bldg.) c. 1896. / Moved approx 150 ft. up Beach St. to make / room for new Bardes Market which is now / Kast Market."
(Keywords: New York)
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
John Bardes (1859-1913) operated a meat market in Stapleton, Staten Island. In 1893 he was appointed a member of Staten Island's Board of Health, and he also served as its president. He was a member of the Staten Island Quartett Club, which was a German-American social club, as well as the Elks, the Staten Island Yacht Club, and others. He was for many years the treasurer of the Edgewater Cooperative Savings and Loan Association, and a director of the Richmond Borough National Bank and of the Tottenville National Bank. The Bardes Building in Stapleton was one of his properties.
His son Christian Julius Bardes (born in 1886) later took over the meat market.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|