|Title||[Alert Hose Company No. 1]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on gray cardboard mount. Side view of a horse-drawn hose wagon with painted inscription: "ALERT HOSE CO." Two firemen in uniform sit on the front of the wagon; a young boy in uniform sits near the rear, and a man in uniform stands behind the wagon. The wagon holds a ladder, with fire helmets on top and boots hanging below. Inscriptions on the ladder: "20. FT." and "ALERT". The large double doors of the firehouse are visible in the background; the firehouse, and the building to the right, are draped with stars and stripes bunting. A framed painting of a firefighter rescuing a child from a fire is hung above the firehouse doors. A cobblestone street with trolley tracks is in the foreground. Handwritten inscription on reverse of mount: "Alert Hose #1 / New Brighton / c 1892".
(Keywords: New York, Firefighter, Firefighting Equipment)
|Print size||7.625 x 9.5|
|Acquisition||Collection of the Staten Island Historical Society|
|Ownership and History||
The Alert Hose Company No. 1, one of the many volunteer fire companies on Staten Island in the 19th century, was organized in 1884. The company was disbanded in 1905, when New York City's municipal fire department replaced most of Staten Island's volunteer companies.
The painting seen hanging above the firehouse doors in this photograph was painted by amateur artist Anna Maria Brown, who was a teacher at Public School 3 in New Brighton, Staten Island. The firefighter subject, John Herbert Wilkinson (1863-1941), became her husband in 1893, the year after the painting was completed. The painting is in the Staten Island Historical Society collection [catalog number P01.0145].
Fire engines & equipment
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, January 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|