|Title||[W.L. Conner Insurance and Real Estate]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print on tan cardboard mount. Diagonal front and side view of the building that is now the Treasure House at Historic Richmond Town. A large sign on the front of the building has inscription "W.L. CONNER. / INSURANCE / REAL ESTATE". Sign in the first floor window: "STATEN ISLAND / POST OFFICE / RICHMOND STATION". There are signs in 3 of the second floor windows: "REAL ESTATE / INSURANCE"; "REAL ESTATE / OFFICE"; and "REAL ESTATE". Two men and two women stand in front of the building; the man and woman in the center of the group are Willett Leslie Conner and his wife Bertha Conner. Bertha holds a broom; the man at left holds an axe; and the man at right holds a shovel. There is a small cannon on a concrete block by the door on the right. The house is on Arthur Kill Road at the foot of Richmond Road in Richmond, Staten Island.
(Keywords: New York City, HRT)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Ownership and History||
The Treasure House takes its name from a local legend that a cache of gold coins was discovered in the house during the nineteenth century.
Samuel Grasset, a tanner and leather worker, built the original section of the house around 1700 and lived there with his wife Martha. Other families and businesses occupied the structure throughout subsequent centuries. In the 1920s it was leased by nearby residents Bertha and Willett Leslie Conner for business use.
Real estate business
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Conner, Willett Leslie
Conner, Bertha (Manee)
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, March 2016.|
Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.