|Title||[Richmond County Mutual Insurance Company office]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. View of buildings on Center Street in Richmond, Staten Island. At left is a one-story wooden office building viewed diagonally from the front. Four men are in front of the building; three are seated in chairs and one man is standing. The building has narrow double doors and one window with shutters; the window and one door are open. There is an inscription (not legible) on the window. A wooden coal bin stands beside the office at right. The two-story brick County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office building is partly visible at right, with a wooden fence in front. There is a tree at the corner of the fence. The porch of the Stephens-Black House is visible at far right.
(Keywords: HRT, New York)
|Print size||8 x 10|
|Ownership and History||
This photo shows the Center Street location of the Richmond County Mutual Insurance Company office (at left). It was constructed in 1876 and demolished after 1926. The business was initially managed by Henry B. Metcalfe, who died in 1881. The company continued at this location until relocating to the north shore of Staten Island about 1906.
The large brick building in the background, which was built in 1848 as the County Clerk's and Surrogate's Office, is now the Historical Museum at Historic Richmond Town.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Metcalfe, Henry Bleeker
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2016.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|