|Title||[Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill)]|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
B&W copy print. Diagonal front and side view of Geib's Mill (Richmond Mill), as seen from across the water. Mill is a three-story shingled building on the edge of a creek. The building has multiple windows and the side has a door on each level; there is a one-story addition on the front. A rowboat is alongside the building. There is a one-story building to the left of the mill, and two small buildings at far right. A hill with trees is in the background.
(Keywords: Richmond, Gristmill, New York, HRT)
|Print size||5 x 7|
|Ownership and History||
The massive tidal gristmill at the head of the Fresh Kills near Richmond, Staten Island, was probably built about 1760. Known during the Revolution as Beadle's Mill, it was owned by a family named Crocheron from about 1800 to the early 1850s, when it was acquired by William Geib. Two Seaver brothers, Patrick and Lawrence, recent emigrants from Ireland, operated the mill for Geib from the early 1850s through the 1870s, when the building was sold to the Simonsons. The structure remained in use to the end of the century; it was destroyed in 1922.
The photographer was likely Willis Barton, whose home on Richmond Road, Staten Island is now known as the Edwards-Barton House at Historic Richmond Town.
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, May 2013.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|