|Title||[Foreign Trade Zone]|
|Object Name||Negative, Film|
|Photographer||Flamm, Herbert A.|
|Date||September 11, 1953|
|Collection||Herbert A. Flamm Photograph Collection|
Original B&W film negative. View of a U.S. Mail truck stopped at an entrance to the Foreign Trade Zone in Stapleton. Sign above the entrance: "FOREIGN TRADE ZONE No. 1". Two men in police or guard uniforms stand at right.
(Keywords: Free Port, New York City, Twentieth Century)
|Film Size||8 X 10|
|Acquisition||Gift of Herbert A. Flamm|
|Ownership and History||
Photographer Herbert A. Flamm (1905-1980) was a lifelong Staten Island resident and an active community leader as well as a prolific commercial photographer. He was part-owner of Weitzman's Photo Shop in Stapleton.
Stapleton, Staten Island was the site of the first Foreign Trade Zone in the United States, also known as the Free Port. It was in operation from 1937 until 1942, when the Stapleton piers were taken over for government use, and then resumed for some years after the end of World War II in 1945.
Piers & wharves
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, September 2015.|
|Legal Status||Images and text in this database are copyrighted by the Staten Island Historical Society unless otherwise noted. Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|