Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title [Jewett Avenue at Post Avenue, West New Brighton]
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date ca. 1903
Collection Staten Island Geographic Collection
Description Original B&W print. View of an unpaved street, as seen from an elevated vantage point. There are trolley tracks in the street. There are several buildings along the left side of the street. The two-story wood frame building at left is in very damaged condition: it is off its foundation and tilting to the right; the windows are missing and the roof and the exterior walls are damaged. A fence is in front of the building; a boy stands in the street near the fence, and three men stand on top of a stone wall that runs in front of and alongside the building. Next door is a two-story building with sign "M.A. FLANNERY / WINES & LIQ[UORS]." Several houses are seen in the distance. A hand-drawn diagram on the reverse shows the location to be Jewett Avenue at the intersection of Post Avenue near Palmers Run in West New Brighton, Staten Island. An inscription identifies this as a creek washout, ca. 1903.
(Keywords: New York City, Early Twentieth Century)
Print size 6.5 x 8.5
Ownership and History The "creek washout" referred to in the inscription could be a storm that came through Staten Island in September 1903. The Richmond County Advance of September 19, 1903, reported that Jewett Avenue suffered the worst of the storm damage after the dam at Lush's Pond broke and sent water rushing into the street.
Earliest Date 1900
Latest Date 1905
Subjects Buildings
Building failures
Lexicon Sub-category Documentary Artifact
Catalog Number PH01.1368
Support Acknowledgment Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2017.
Legal Status Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.