|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Staten Island Geographic Collection|
Original B&W print. Front view of an early bi-wing airplane (biplane) inside a large building. The plane has two fabric wings and an open body constructed of metal bars; it rests on three wheels. Two men stand behind the plane and look toward the camera. The building has a high wooden beam ceiling. Location unknown, possibly Staten Island. Handwritten inscription in pencil on reverse: "1st machine built 1910 / Total 3 built / Flown at Blvd."
(Keywords: Airplane, Aviation, Early Twentieth Century)
|Print size||4.5 x 6.5|
|Acquisition||Gift of Edwin Skinner|
|Ownership and History||This is one of a group of photographs donated to the Staten Island Historical Society in 1952 by Edwin H. Skinner, who for many years was manager of the Staten Island Beach Land Improvement Company in South Beach. Mr. Skinner was also involved with aviation firms, including the Rex Monoplane Company, located in South Beach, and the Kirkham Aeroplane & Motor Company of Savona, New York.|
|Lexicon Sub-category||Documentary Artifact|
Skinner, Edwin H.
|Support Acknowledgment||Online Collections Database record made possible by the Staten Island Historical Society, April 2017.|
|Legal Status||Items represented here are from the collections of the Staten Island Historical Society. Materials reproduced for personal non-commercial use must credit the Staten Island Historical Society. Commercial licensing is available.|